Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday failure

I mean, not like the Romans' failure or anything... we're not talking that grand a scale, but still. I was going to get up and go to church this morning. It would've been my first church visit here, and I was actually looking forward to it. I went to bed pretty early. Good start. I woke up around 8:15, so we were still on target. I heated up the water for coffee and turned on the streaming program so I could catch the first half or so of the Bulls game. Laid back down and waited for the kettle to shut off.

Next thing I know, I wake up and there's 5 minutes left to go in the game. The Bulls are neck-and-neck with a team they should be beating, and my water's cold again. =( Of course, this isn't the worst part: I didn't make it anywhere near a church this morning... boo. So... I mean, sorry Mom! I'll try to go next weekend (even though it probably won't be as cool ) so I can at least tell you what it's like at a Korean Presbyterian Church... which apparently does exist and is relatively close to here.

On a more positive note, the Cardinals and Bulls both won today, so that makes me happy.

On a more negative note, now I need to put my ear to the grindstone and knock out 16 weeks worth of lesson plans today. Should've worked on this yesterday, but it was really nice outside so instead I went for a walk, had a cheeseburger, got my hair cut and went to the gym. But uh, not in that order. I know, I know, that's not really like a full day of activities, but I've become totally engrossed in the Douglas Adams books again. I read them all in high school, but haven't picked them up since. Well, I also finished Hitchhiker, read the whole 2nd one ("Restaurant at the End of the Universe") and am halfway through "Life, the Universe, and Everything." So at least I'm not being totally mindless and useless... or maybe I am. I dunno... who can say, really?

I also found a decent website for studying Korean, so I've been doing a bit more practicing on that as well. I learned the simple past tense yesterday... so that's cool. Now I can say things like "I went to the gym, then I ate a cheeseburger, and it was delicious." Haha... slowly but surely, ya'll, that's the way this is gonna work. Check this site out if you're interested. It's fun, I promise.

Other than apologizing for dropping the ball today, I don't really have much to say. Same ole, same ole, I guess... I mean, as much as you can call living in Korea "the same..." It really is starting to feel that way though, at least a little bit. Things don't seem so strange to me anymore, in general. The strangest thing recently was today: not going to church with my Mom on Easter. It's the holidays that really carry a sense of tradition and comfort, ya know? The rest of the time, I guess, work's work, food's food, sleep's sleep. Not being with my family on Thansgiving and Christmas was definitely harder than today, though. I dunno, either I'm settling in a bit more (which is true, by the way) or Easter doesn't have as strong a family feeling for me as the winter holidays (which is also true, by the way). Wow. That last sentence shouldn't have been an either/or proposition at all, huh? I just lol'ed. Not sure why it started that way in my head, but whatever. The human mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.

OK, enough stalling, time to get down to brass tacks here. So (because I have no desire to start doing lesson plans), I just looked up the etymology of that phrase, realizing that I had just about zero idea what it actually meant. And wikipedia, though interesting, isn't entirely helpful. It did lead me on to this discussion of Cockney rhyming slang, however, which is pretty entertaining. Ok, can you tell that I'm really just stalling now? It's getting out of hand. I gotta wrap this up, and get to work. Until next time then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the same going to church without you, either. Miss ya!

emily said...

16!! WEEKS!!??? of lesson plans in one day?? How did that go? It takes me at least an hour to do just one week.

Sean said...

Emily -- I know, it sounds crazy, but it's not too bad. See, here's the extenuating circumstances on that one:

1) it's only 2 classes: basic and advanced
2) it's only twice a week
3) I don't have to do actual lesson plans, like full ones, just summarize the content and list the activities
4) it doesn't matter what I write on the lesson plan: I don't have to stick to it. =)